How To Invest In Stock Market In Kenya
Do you want to start earning from Stock Market in Kenya? Let’s see how the Stock market works and how we can profit from it.
First, we need to know what the stock market is. A stock market is a venue where publicly traded corporations are bought and sold. A stock symbolizes a company’s fractional ownership. Stocks are sometimes known as securities or shares.
The stock market is the most powerful wealth-creation mechanism ever devised. This is due to the fact that it allows investors to own shares in highly profitable companies and share gains through dividends and capital appreciation.
In Kenya, we use Nairobi Securities Exchange as our market. you can find brokers and investors here. Despite the Nairobi Stock Exchange’s recent bad performance, the stock market remains one of the strongest asset classes for investors to employ to generate wealth.
If you’ve ever wondered how to buy shares in the Nairobi Securities Exchange’s most profitable firms, such as Safaricom PLC, Equity Group Holdings, Kenya Commercial Bank, or East African Breweries. Then this is the article for you.
How To Make Money In Stocks
When you invest in stocks, there are two ways to profit. They are as follows:
A dividend is the distribution of a company’s earnings to its shareholders, according to Investopedia. When a corporation produces a profit, it distributes a portion of that profit to its shareholders in the form of dividends.
Assume firm A had a profit of Sh100,000 and decided to distribute a total dividend of Ksh50,000 to its five owners. If the company’s total number of shares is 100, the dividends paid will be 50,000/100, or Sh500 per share. If individual X holds 50 shares, he will receive 50*500 or 25,000.
That’s only a simple explanation of how corporations distribute dividends.
2. Capital Gains
You’ve probably heard the phrase “buy low, sell high.” If not, it is the procedure through which investors acquire a specific company’s stock at a certain price and only sell it at a greater price than they paid for it.
When Safaricom went public, for example, one share cost Sh0.05. At the time of writing, one Safaricom share is worth Sh30. If person Y purchased 1,000 shares at the IPO for sh50, he can now sell them for sh30,000.
How To Buy Stocks at The Nairobi Securities Exchange
1. Create a CDS Account
To trade shares on the NSE, you must first open a trading account with the Central Depository and Settlement Corporation (CDSC).
This organization allows the holding and transferring of stock exchange-traded shares.
2. Choose a Stock Broker
With the help of your stock broker, you open a CDS account. You cannot buy or sell shares without the assistance of a broker.
How To Choose The Right Stock Broker
1. Investment Costs
Account maintenance fees, trading fees, brokerage fees, transaction expenses, and other fees are charged by stockbrokers.
It is possible to compare brokers in order to choose one with reduced fees. If you are concerned about your investment results, always use brokers with low fees.
Most brokers charge roughly 2% on average for any trade.
We live in a time when we can do anything from our phones. You should also have mobile access to your trading account. When you have problems with your account, you do not need to go to your broker’s actual premises.
Check that your stock broker is licensed by the CDSC and regulated by the Capital Markets Authority (CMA).
4. Customer Service
As a client, you expect to be treated fairly and to have a positive experience during your investment journey. Prioritize brokers with a positive public image and positive consumer feedback.
Most Profitable Stock Market Brokers In Kenya
- Safaricom PLC
- Equity Group Holdings
- Kenya Commercial Bank
- East African Breweries
- NCBA Investment Bank Limited
- Standard Investment Bank Ltd
- SBG Securities Ltd
There are around 65 stock exchange brokers in the market. You can find more brokers on Nairobi Securities Exchange.
How To Invest Stock Market in Kenya Step By Step
Investing in the stock market in Kenya involves several steps. Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting started:
Step 1. Educate Yourself
Before investing in the stock market, it’s important to understand how it works, different investment strategies, and the risks involved.
Step 2. Set Financial Goals
Determine your investment objectives and the amount of money you’re willing to invest. Are you searching for long-term growth or quick profits? Clarifying your objectives will assist you in making better investment decisions.
Step 3. Open a Trading Account
To invest in the Kenyan stock market, you’ll need to open a trading account with a licensed stockbroker. Research different brokerage firms and choose one that suits your needs. Ensure that the broker is registered with the Capital Markets Authority (CMA) of Kenya.
Step 4. Complete the Required Documentation
Provide the necessary documentation to open your trading account. This typically includes proof of identity (national ID, passport, or driver’s license), proof of address, and any additional forms required by the brokerage firm.
Step 5. Fund Your Trading Account
Make a deposit into your trading account. Most brokerage firms offer various payment methods, including bank transfers and mobile money platforms.
Step 6. Research and Select Stocks
Conduct thorough research on the stocks you’re interested in investing in. Consider factors such as the company’s financial health, industry trends, management team, and historical performance. You can find this information through financial news websites, annual reports, and research reports.
Step 7. Place Your Order
Once you’ve selected the stocks you want to invest in, place an order with your stockbroker. You can do this either through their online trading platform or by contacting their trading desk. Specify the quantity and price at which you want to buy or sell the shares.
Step 8. Monitor Your Investments
Keep track of your investments regularly. Monitor the performance of your stocks, stay updated on relevant news and market trends, and make informed decisions based on the information you gather.
Step 9. Diversify Your Portfolio
It’s essential to diversify your investments to reduce risk. Instead of investing all your funds in a single stock, consider spreading your investments across different companies and sectors.
Step 10. Regularly Review and Adjust
Review your investment portfolio periodically and make adjustments as needed. Market conditions and individual stock performances can change, so it’s important to reassess your investments to align with your goals.
Remember, investing in the stock market involves risks, and it’s crucial to do your due diligence and make informed decisions. Consider consulting with a financial advisor or seeking professional guidance to ensure your investment strategy aligns with your goals and risk tolerance.
Tips for Investing in the Stock Market
Certainly! Here are some additional tips to keep in mind when investing in the stock market in Kenya:
- Research and Due Diligence: Take the time to thoroughly research the companies you’re interested in investing in. Look into their financial statements, earnings reports, and overall market reputation. Understand the company’s competitive position, growth prospects, and potential risks.
- Start with Blue-Chip Stocks: Blue-chip stocks are shares of well-established companies with a history of stable earnings and dividends. They are considered more reliable and less volatile than smaller or riskier stocks. Consider including blue-chip stocks in your portfolio as a foundation for stability.
- Diversify Your Portfolio: Diversification is key to managing risk. Spread your investments across different sectors, industries, and companies. By diversifying, you can mitigate the impact of any single stock’s poor performance on your overall portfolio.
- Consider Long-Term Investing: The stock market can be unpredictable in the short term. Instead of trying to time the market or chase short-term gains, consider a long-term investment strategy. Investing for the long term allows you to ride out market fluctuations and potentially benefit from compounding returns.
- Set Realistic Expectations: Understand that stock market returns can fluctuate and that there are risks involved. Don’t expect immediate or guaranteed profits. Maintain a realistic outlook and be prepared for both gains and losses.
- Monitor the Market: Stay informed about the stock market and relevant economic and political events that may impact your investments. Regularly review news updates, financial reports, and company announcements to make informed decisions.
- Avoid Emotional Decision-Making: Emotions can lead to impulsive investment decisions, such as panic selling during market downturns or chasing after hot stocks. Develop a disciplined approach to investing and base your decisions on research and analysis rather than emotions.
- Consider Dividends: Some companies distribute a portion of their profits to shareholders in the form of dividends. Dividend stocks can provide a regular income stream. Consider including dividend-paying stocks in your portfolio if you’re seeking income from your investments.
- Take Advantage of Investment Tools and Resources: Many brokerage firms in Kenya offer online trading platforms, research reports, and educational resources to help you make informed investment decisions. Make use of these tools to enhance your understanding and stay updated on market trends.
- Seek Professional Advice When Needed: If you’re uncertain about your investment decisions or need expert guidance, consider consulting with a financial advisor who specializes in stock market investing. They can provide personalized advice based on your financial goals and risk tolerance.
Remember, investing in the stock market involves risk, and it’s important to make informed decisions based on your own research and risk tolerance. Regularly review and reassess your investment strategy to ensure it aligns with your goals and financial circumstances. F
How to Invest in Companies Listed in the NSE in Kenya
There are two major actions that you must take. First, you must conduct research on the equities listed on the market. Because not all firms in the exchange are worth your time, the goal is to locate the best firms to invest in. We propose looking for companies with rising sales, rising earnings, and, most crucially, low debt.
We also encourage investing in firms that pay out dividends to their shareholders. Safaricom, Equity Bank, Co-operative Bank, and KCB are among the best companies to consider in this instance.
Second, open a CDC account and purchase the stock. A CDC account is one that allows you to buy and sell stocks. This account can be opened at any of the major brokerage firms. Equity Bank, Genghis Capital, and Kestrell are three of Kenya’s most well-known brokerage firms. After you open the account, you can purchase stock in the company you investigated.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Much Money Do I Need to Invest?
To invest in the Nairobi Securities Exchange, you must trade a minimum of 100 shares. Thus, the amount of money required to begin started is determined by the stocks you choose to purchase.
East African Breweries, for example, is currently trading at Sh 142.50 per share. That means I’d need Sh 14,250 to buy 100 shares.
Simultaneously, Safaricom is trading at Sh29. This means I’d need to raise Sh2900 to purchase Safaricom stock.
2. How should a beginner invest in stocks in Kenya?
Investing in stocks as a beginner in Kenya can be overwhelming, but there are a few steps you can take to start. Firstly, educate yourself on the basics of investing and the stock market. Secondly, select a reputable stockbroker and open a trading account. Lastly, start small and diversify your portfolio to mitigate risks. Remember to do your research and invest in companies with a good track record.
3. What is the difference between stocks and shares
Differences between stocks and shares are subtle, but crucial to grasp when investing. A stock is the actual asset in which you invest, whereas a share is the asset’s unit of measurement. So, a stock indicates what you are investing in, while a share indicates how much of that stock you hold. For more clarity, you can check how to invest in Shares for beginners in Kenya.
4. Is investing in the stock market in Kenya profitable?
Investing in the stock market in Kenya is profitable, but it also comes with risks. It’s important to do your research and understand the market before investing. To gain more knowledge about the different kinds of profitable investments you can make in Kenya check out: